Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5KC145AL202 Schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan_H

Electrical
Jun 8, 2022
US
Good Morning,

I have this motor and I am trying to wire it for low 120V. My issue is, the motor is missing the cover plate that contained the schematics. Would anyone have the schematic for this motor? GE is unable to help. Much appreciate the help in advance.

Dan
5KC145AL202_s2n2kq.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I guess you have only two terminals in the motor terminal box (apart from motor body earth terminal). If yes, you connect the 230V supply to the same terminals you were using for 115V supply.
This is single phase center tapped power supply with 230V between end terminals and 115V with mid point.
Single phase motor just takes half the current with 230V supply when compared to 115V supply to deliver the same output.
It is that simple unlike a 3-phase motor that may be connected in Star or in Delta and accordingly has different output.

Thank You petronila! I was able to find the first img, but it was not correct. I will try the 2nd one when I get back home tonight.

@RRaghunath, I have 10 wires. It is a dual voltage reversing motor that I am going to run at low voltage.

@Petronila Taking a closer look, the 2nd img will not work for me as I have 10 wires not 8.

Dan H The first of petronila's images IS correct.
Your two lines for 115 (or 120) volt connect one polarity to both leads 1 and 3, and the other polarity to both 2 and 4. The remaining leads get tied together in "sub-groups" as shown.
For the higher (nominal 230-240 V) connection, tie line leads to 1 and 4 (one per polarity) and short 2 and 3 together.
To be able to reverse, you need to be able to switch the way the other two connections are formed (FROM 5-7-10 and 6-8-9 TO 5-7-9 and 6-8-10).

This is a pretty standard NEMA connection. You could get the complete internal version from NEMA MG 1, the EASA Technical Manual, or (I think) EASA's AR-100 Manual.

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

I appreciate it Gr8blu, I must have a bad motor as I hooked it up 1,3,L, & 2,4,L with 5,7,10/6,8,9 tied up and it just tripped the breaker. This is an old motor that has been on the shelf for probably 10 years and I am trying to get my air compressor running again.

I have an update! It was the pressure switch that was my issue. Compressor is up and running once again. Thank you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back