Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5kV Teck 90 Cable in Rigid Steel Conduit 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonic02

Electrical
Feb 13, 2011
CA
Hi there,

We are planning to install a 5kV TECK 90 Cable buried in a cable trench. One of the client requirements is that any cables buried in a cable trench in a vehicular area needs to be installed in a rigid steel conduit.

Now, my question is whether a 5kV TECK 90 cable can be installed in a rigid steel conduit underground. Is this a common practise among industrial clients?

I was told that the 5kV TECK 90 cable can be damaged during cable pulling if installed in a conduit.

Comments anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure where you are at, but in the US, MC cable such as Okonite C-L-X can be pulled in conduit.

I would not say it is common, but it is sometimes done. Just mind the bending radius.

David Castor

Any cable may be damaged by being pulled into a conduit by poor workmanship.
Teck cable is generally installed in conduit to provide extra mechanical protection.
Consider bell ends on the conduit instead of bushings. Beware of dirt and stones entering the conduit with the Teck cable.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Is your TECK 5 kV cable three conductor or single conductor? 1/C cable will need all three phases pulled in the same conduit to avoid heating of the conduit.

Hi rcwilson,

It is a 5kV TECK 90 3C-500MCM Non-Shielded cable. This cable has a total diameter of 2.78 inches (including the outer jacket). My concern is the cable bending of that cable in a rigid steel conduit underground (i.e. buried trench).

How long is the conduit and how many quarter bends? What is the bend radius?

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Use a big conduit and big radius bends. The electricians will complain, but they'd complain regardless.

If you want more guidance on design on the conduit system, I'd contact your local Okonite office. They like to find ways for people to use more C-L-X so are generally helpful. (No affiliation.)

David Castor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back