Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5kV Termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeezlouise

Electrical
Dec 18, 2007
US
I need to terminate a set of 5kV shielded single conductor cables (500kcmil) at lugs in an MV switch. Can anyone recommend a particular manufacturer's kit. Or, are there any in particular not recommended. It's been awhile since I've had terminations done and if memory serves me correctly the last time the installation contractor really struggled. I think because of lack of know-how rather than the kit itself. Thanks in advance for the help and recommendations.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

kcmil suggests north America, (it would be better if you mention where you are from when asknig for a manufacturer).

If so check out websites of 3M and Raychem. Web search is great tool too. You can always ask the cable mfr too, for recommendations.

Rafiq Bulsara

For the cable switchgear side you may use-as rbulsara proposed=Raychem terminations. See:
Or:
"Raychem" was the old co. was later "Tyco" and now is "TE Connectivity".
For motor termination -according to NEMA MG1 Ch. 20 Type II [For model of the type II see:
page 34] you may use the same termination.
For motor NEMA type I [limited space, up to 8 kV]:
But better it is to contact Raychem as they change the number of the product some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back