Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5MW XFR on 115KV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okpower

Electrical
Feb 24, 2006
VE
Hi, All:

I am getting involved in a new project, for a Gas Processing Plant. The entire Plant needs 4,7 MW to operate, and according the visualization studies, this power will be supplied by two 115/13.8 KV transformers in redundant double bar (two 115 KV incoming lines).
My questions:
1.- Is it practical to feed the plant in 115 KV?
2.- Are there Electrical Factories that manufacture 115KV transformer with that capacity (5MW)??

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Sure. There are no technical issues - only economic considerations.

2. Yes. It's on the small side for a 115 kV winding, but you should not have any problems finding a supplier.

Im with Dave (dpc), it's only economic issue.
According to some economic evaluation ( in our area, with our prices),decition between MV and HV is about 25-28MW.
Regards.
Slava

4.7MW to operate and your source will be 5MVA... hope it has a good power factor! One decent sized drive starting might be enough to tip the whole lot over the edge.

Are you at the stage of load flow and motor starting studies or just conceptual stage? If the latter I would be estimating the transformers a little larger, just to account for the things you omitted to factor in: planning for 94% loading is unreasonable and will be a real headache later if you find you need a bit more capacity, especially with what is likely to be a pretty expensive transformer.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

I agree with Zog & Scotty - 5 MW is too small a transformer.

Feeding at 115kV is not a problem. Buy a transformer 10 MVA or larger. The cost difference between 7.5 & 10 MVA is probably smaller than expected at that voltage. At 10 MVA you are still within the ratings of typical 13.8 kV equipment (FLA = 420 Amps) so the cost of the low voltage equipment will not increase.

My comments and conclusions after i read your comments:

dpc, Zogzog, slavag: I have to find prices of 115 KV equipment (is very close to the Plant, 300 mts). And I have to evaluate the construction of a 13.8 KV, 5 Kms line to the Plant. But really, i think the 115 KV is the expensive option.

ScottyUK, rcwilson: the conceptual stage is finished. We will start Basic Engineering the next week. Some of the work is done. According conceptual engineering, there will be two incoming lines with 2 XRF´s (5 MW each, total 10MW) for normal operation.

Looks like cost engineers will have a lot of work to do. Specially now, with a world financial crisis. All prices are expected to rise. [sad]

Thanks to all

I agree with everyone - finding a transformer that size is not a problem, but go with at least a 10 MVA and definitely check your power factor!

Economic considerations are your main concern with supplying at 115kV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back