Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

64 bit NX5 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know that NX Human modelling is not supported on any 64 bit platform as yet and if NX4 on a 64 bit platform is anything to go by, then you may expericence other problems too. However, there are also alot of fixes, e.g. Mechanisms would not run properly on NX4 64 bit as there is a problem with the Adams solver which caused it to crash time after time, however it has been fixed for NX5. We are currenly looking to go to replace 400 seats of NX4 with NX5 on 64 bit platforms due to the amount of trouble we have had with NX4. There is a thread with some usefull information which I started recently, you just need to flick back 2 or 3 pages.

Regards

Simon

The story so far,

Spaceware Drivers of which some will work and can be fixed, have been reportedly a problem for some 64Bit users.

We haven't heard much in the way of actual modeling, drafting or machining problems where the system fails to work or won't perform certain functions. Apart from general system stability issues of which there seem to be an unfortunate amount of problems. Obviously though most users are surviving, under sufferance perhaps, but surviving most of the time well enough.

Solvers, Motion, NX-Human (Jack) seem to be no go zones.

Apart from that those general stability issues there may be not much pay off in terms of performance yet! NX-5 hasn't yet embraced the ability to use quad processors and still seems to suffer from memory slowdowns with approximately equivalent amounts of data as do 32Bits systems.

For NX-5 you'd probably rather be on 32Bit systems. But NX-6 will be available shortly so depending on your upgrade strategy you may not want to buy lots of 32Bit systems that will quickly date at this stage. It might be a good time to wait and see.

Best regards

Hudson

NX5 for 32bit or NX5 for 64bit? You can run both on a Windows 64bit version of XP.

64bit version of NX5 will run and gain the extra memory available, but there will be a couple of odd ball issues that come up. Hopefully not a deal breaker or never run into them. For the money, I would stick with 32bit, unless you need the extra Ram for analysis or large assemblies.

-Dave Tolsma
Tolsnet LLC

Dave,

So what you're saying sounds happily like we can have our cake and eat it too. I have a 64Bit system but I run XP-Pro 32Bit. So the investment in the system is protected because I have an upgrade path, (though probably not to Vista). In the meantime if you're having difficulties with the 64Bit version of NX then we presume that you're running one of XP or Vista 64Bit O/S. Under those circumstances are you saying that the problems with NX will go away by just running the 32Bit version? And are you able to install both at no cost in order to exercise that level of choice?

My experience with 64Bit systems has been working with systems other than my own and hearing of or dealing with the problems that other users are reporting. The upshot of this were the collected comments above. I hadn't heard it mooted that you could do both and with teamcenter it could only be more painful. But it may be worth pointing different users at different installations depending on what modules they need to use.

Best Regards

Hudson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back