Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

645 E-6 EMD MAINT,SERVICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefseh

Marine/Ocean
Feb 10, 2008
US
BEEN ABOUT 15YRS SINCE BEING ON BOARD A VESSEL WITH 645 E-6 EMD"S AND HAVE NO MANUALS ON BOARD. NOT SURE IF THE HOURLY MAINT WOULD BE CLOSE TO RUSTON PAXMAN DIESEL.
NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE HOUR RUNNING TIME IS FOR OIL CHANGE AND OIL SAMPLE INTERVALS. RUNNING 900 RPM APPROX 675 HRS A MONTH,ADDING 20 GALS @24HR RUN TIME
THANKS, SCOTT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I HAVE A PAIR OF EMD 645 THAT ARE RUNNING 650-700 RPMS BUT NOT MAKING POWER THE BOAT I AM ON HAS NO TECHNICAL INFORMATION ANY SUGGESTIONS ALSO ANY INFO ON MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS??PLEASE HELP

Obviously the filtering system is going to be relevant to this question, but after running some trials on 20 cylinder 645s, we found that after 8000 hours on the lube oil we had significantly higher usage of filters, even though the oil samples showed all elements within proper parameters after being tested at the lab. This is using Mobil 450 oil.

I would stick with the 8000 hours.

I used to use 40W oil in our EMD 645's. I have never been a great believer in changing out oil or filters just because a certain amount of hours have been reached. I would use it as a guide but much rather diagnose the state of the engine from the various parameters.
These engines normally have a centrifugal Glacier filter in the oil circuit. The state of the oil and cylinders can be determined from the thickness of the deposits on the Glacier bowl. I keep a record of the running hours between cleaning the Glacier bowl(start at 200 hours and extend as required) and the thickness of the deposit, which gives me an indication when to change the oil and filters, or change out piston /cylinders packages.
There is also a manometer gauge fitted to your crankcase, which is a good indication of blow-by,cylinder wear, and also injector malfunction. This will also assist with giving indication of the state of the blower and filters (either Rootes or Turbo). A crankcase reading of 1 " negative is about average.
These engines have an eductor arrangement fitted to give a slight negative pressure in the crankcase, remove crankcase corrosive gases and thus extend the life of the oil and thus the engine. Ensure this is in good order.

Offshore Engineering&Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back