Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

70 % NaOH storage material

Status
Not open for further replies.

orion1

Industrial
Mar 31, 2003
US
Dear colleagues,
Does anybody know's what material I can use for storage of 70 % solution of NaOH at room temperature ?

Thank you.
Regards ,
Chemical Engineer
Kukoljac Milos.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the quantity? At room temperatures stainless steel is ok. If volumes are less you can either use HDPE.

Try the web link of Nickel development Institute(NIDI). They have large information on caustic application.

HI

SS316 would be the most suitable material for 70% NaOH at ambient temperature. For higher temperatures, Ni is the recommended material.

Regards

orion1,

Temperature will determine your storage material......what temperature do you need to store the caustic without it freezing ?

Try these links:

Nickel (alloy 200) is very, very expensive and only useful in applications where high concentrations of caustic (>75%) are at high tempertatures ( >212F)

Good luck.....

Let us know what your final decision is...

MJC

Thank you all for these informations and links. Because I have to storage NaOH solution at 20 C I will take stainless steel material.I do not need high temperatures so I do not need Ni .

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back