Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

7018 not in rod oven 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downhand

Industrial
Dec 20, 2009
CA
I understand that 7018 can not be out of a rod oven for more than 4 hours before it needs to be rebaked, however, if the rod is out of the oven say for 2 hours and doesn't get used I am told that it must go back in the oven for 4 hours before it can be used again. Is this true? Please reference the any of the U.S. codes that refer to this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Moisture Resistant"

I don't know why it hasn't been mentioned yet; electrodes with an 'R' designator (E7018-H4R, E8018C3-H4R, etc.)for steels with yield strengths up to 50 ksi may be used with atmospheric exposure times of up to 9 hours. Cite:D1.5 2008(Bridges) 12.6.5.8
'For steels above 50 ksi, exposure is limited to the values of table 4.7'

This clause should exist in D1.1 as well.

Commentary (D1.5 C12.6.5.8): 'These moisture resistant coatings were especially designed for a typical workshift + lunch period' to prevent the kind of scenarios listed above.

Any 7018 I buy off the shelf these days has the R designator. I was also quite surprised to have my 8018 go from 2 hrs to 9 of allowable exposure.

You are drying your flux-cored wires aren't you?

steve
CWI UT3 Blacksmith

Drying Fluxcore is a 'Book QC' requirement. Only the first couple of inches of wire has [possibly] moistened. The welder just needs to cut off a foot or so to be into 'good' wire. Welders always do this anyway on gas-shielded FCAW when they purge their hose & 'gun' immediatly prior to welding, and usually do it plain FCAW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back