Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

8.8 tensile strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineerfin

Automotive
Feb 22, 2015
US
I have some 8.8 10mm metric bolts that will experience load in tension. Rated at 830mpa but I am thinking I should be more concerned with thread pullout then tensile. I Could not purchase 10.9 bolts so was wondering if these would work and what the calculation would be for the thread pullout.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

engineerfin said:
25,000lb? With perfect matching strength threads, I sure would like to see that single m10 lift a mack semi tractor.

I don't know what to tell you, the math doesn't lie.

This is why the rule of thumb for most fasteners is a minimum of 1.5D of engagement; once you get beyond that, in most cases the fastener shank is going to fail in tension before the threads strip, which is the failure mode you almost always want.

SwinnyGG,

For an M10[×]1.5 grade[ ]8.8 bolt, I get a stress area of 58mm[sup]2[/sup], or 58[×]10[sup]-6[/sup]m[sup]2[/sup]. A grade[ ]8.8 bolt has a yield stress of around [σ][sub]sy[/sub]=600×10[sup]6[/sup]N/m[sup]2[/sup].

Screw tensile yield: 26kN, or 5900lb.

I used equations from Bickford to work out tensile stress area. You can get these from the Machinery's Handbook. Metric screw grades are explained by the Engineering Toolbox.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back