Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

80% quality steam and erosion velocities 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemieingineur

Chemical
Nov 30, 2004
CA
I have looked almost everywhere in order to find recommended erosion velocities for wet i.e. 80% quality steam and have not found much data. What I have found (in Crane and other text books) is that one must design pipes for less than the 100% (saturated) velocities. But Crane and others do not state how much lower.

Of course the best is to have actual pipe thickness monitoring data.

Does anyone have more information?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A very good resource for anything to do with steam is Have a look through their recommendations.

If you are genuinely working with 80% quality steam, I would recommend that you start with fixing the separators before you go over-sizing all your pipework to cope with this terrible stuff.

Second what katmar said.
Separate the condensate from the steam, or reheat it, or do SOMETHING to dry it.

If you are flowing a steam velocity of much less than 100ft/sec (30m/sec) there is a real possibility of slug flow which will lead to water hammer.

Valce manufacturers caution against liquid velocities exceeding 50 ft/sec. Wet steam can cause some nasty erosion because of high velocity droplet impingement.

This sounds like an application in which really crappy quality steam is injected down wells (it's a one-way trip) to liquify thick oil, so it can be pumped to the surface. This is a real niche steam application, and I'm assuming there must be a reason (probably economic) for the 80% quality steam. I don't know of any literature that deals with it - and I've got books on steam & piping that range from recently published to well over 100 years old.

Thanks for the information. I should have been a bit clearer on what type of steam line I was referring to. It is a steam injection line for heavy oil production that normally operates at pressures greater than 10 MPa. As such the condensate and steam are never separated ( this is standard operation for over several decades of heavy oil production via steam injection).

I am familiar with the Spirax Sarco website, but the website does not offer information on this type of steam piping. I have also spoken to one of my colleagues at Spirax Sarco and they are not familiar with this type of operation and thus could not offer additional information.

Reply to TBP.

I am glad that you confirmed the lack of information on steam injection lines for heavy oil as well. I have looked in almost every text book on steam lines and even heavy oil production and cannot find information on erosion velocities in steam injection lines.

In addition, I could not get any erosion monitoring data either.

Vacuum condensers have to deal with wet (poor quality) steam and incipient erosion all their life. So do turbine exhausts. Look among some of those resources for guidance.

GE has a good tech info on their site, and HEI might be some help.

So does sugar, so go look around on the site.

People that handle moisture in vapor streams might also have info. Try Munters and Koch/Glitsch.

I don't know if any of those places have what you need, and I am not going to go look for you, but if confronted with your problem, that is where I would start.

rmw

The steam boiler people have guide lines for this I believe Struthers and Thermotics used numbers like rhoV²= 27,000 to 40,000 (SI units) with 5D bends instead of LR els, but the usual safe route is per API 14C which I believe uses a consevative rhov²<=10,000 english units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back