Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

9 cyl. radial motorcycle picture 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would sure hope it didn't drop a rocker arm and spit a push rod out the top.

It might be a good idea to only ride it with emergency services close by, but then again, there might not be much left for them to do.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I stand corrected.

I didn't know they made nines that small.

Going 'up' in the URL gives me information on fiberscopes, with no link to the motorcycle. Anyone know more about it?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Ok, my turn to be stupid: (please hold your comments!)
Why are all radial engines odd numbered?

Franz

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Not being an automotive design guy in any shape or form, my first guess... does it have anything to do with directly opposing cylinders firing at the same time being a bad thing?

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

That is a very interesting question. All the cylinders (effectively) operate off a single crankpin. So all the cylinders must fire in sequence around the engine. But each cylinder only fires every other revolution.

I guess the firing sequence would be something like 1-3-5-7-9-2-4-6-8. Every second cylinder in sequence fires around the engine. Pairs of side by side cylinders would reach TDC almost simultaneously. one would be at TDC firing, and the other at TDC overlap. That sort of sequence only works with odd numbers of cylinders.

MOST radial piston engines have an odd number of cylinders per crankpin because they are four- strokes, and commonly use a shared cam ring running at half output speed to actuate the valves on all cylinders. With a little mental gyration, you can eventually come to the understanding that there must be an even number of cylinders, or you run out of cylinders after one cam revolution.

It is not accurate to say that ALL radial four strokes must have an odd number of cylinders per row. I am aware of two exceptions, both produced early in the 20th Century. The Fairchild- Caminez had four cylinders, and the Marchetti had eight. I think the Fairchild- Caminez was produced in some quantity, and there may have been variants. The Marchetti was produced not by the Italian airplane manufacturer, but by Paul Marchetti of San Francisco, who died while flight testing an airframe in which to flight test his engine.

I got interested when I saw a photo of what must be the Marchetti engine, sitting alone somewhere, in some technical fish wrapper, with a derisive caption about how stupid you had to be to actually build a radial eight.

I can't remember which fish wrapper, but I did find images from Paul's advertising campaign, which you can probably Google up.

There is a trick, of course. Both those odd engines use sturdy desmodromic cams and rockers to actuate the pistons. There is no crankpin. Each cylinder does a complete cycle in one output revolution, so the 'crank cams' are symmetrical and naturally balanced.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Refined radial engines have an odd number of cylinders to allow for a constant every-other-piston firing order. A 7 cylinder fires 1-3-5-7-2-4-6-1...

An even number of cylinders can't do that.

Not sure about the 4 layered version :).

There is a 8 cylinder radial 2 stroke diesel for the kit plane industry by Zoche in Germany. It uses a supercharger and a turbocharger and uses a compressed air bottle as a starter when it dumps air into the direct drive supercharger to turn the engine over to start it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back