Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

90.1 Appendix G - Multifamily - LEED NC 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

AggieDave

Electrical
Nov 5, 2009
US
I have a quick questions that seems logical as I am typing it, but I am going to ask anyways for peace of mind. I have a LEED NC 3.0 mid-rise multifamily project on the boards and am working through the muck.

I have modeled all exterior balconies (uninsulated envelope component) to accurately depict the fenestration solar shading for my proposed case, but I assume that this would not be included within the baseline case; ie just a building with no balconies or fenestration shading. What are your thoughts?

Common sense tells me that Ap G would allow this, otherwise you could not demonstrate energy reduction due to shading.

I have read through the section 5 of the Ap G requirements and dont see it explicitly stated.

Thoughts, Comments or confirmation?

Thanks
Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are correct. You can take credit for the exterior shade of the balcony on the proposed and leave it out on the baseline. This is helpful because most balconies have a large glass door.

Dave, As I read your post you are saying that neither the balcony nor the shade would be included in the Base case? I'm not sure that would be proper; I think you would have an unshaded balcony in Base and a shaded balcony in proposed?

RossABQ,
The shading is referring to the glass at the balcony, not the balcony itself. In the baseline case, the consensus is that the "uninsulated projections" i.e. balcony (which provide shading for the glazing) are not included. The balconies ARE included in the proposed case, thus allowing you to demonstrate the energy improvement of shaded glazing.

-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back