Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

91 Acura Integra Fuel Problem???

Status
Not open for further replies.

krobers

Mechanical
Jul 8, 2002
US
I have a 1991 Acura Integra and lately, when it is hot outside (and only when it is hot), I will try to start it but the engine acts as if it is starved for gas. When it cools down outside it is fine. But it will take quite sometime to start it when it is hot (and sometimes it will not start). I was thinking it could be a problem with the Fuel Filter or perhaps fouling spark plugs. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just the basics---change the filter and do a pressure and volumn ck on the fuel pump, check that fuel lines and return lines are not leaking, plugged or, routed adjacent to hot stuff, muffler. That sort of thing, vaporlock you know. I don't know much about Honda specifics, but guys like ivymike do. I am sure they will show up.

Rod

It doesnt die but it just doesnt want to start after staying in the sun for several hours... it will start right up if it has been running prior. Its like the fuel lines drain when it is hot out. never when its cooler though.

It’s not fuel problem. If it was you would have it all the time not just when the car is hot. Low fuel pressure would be more relevant when the engine is under a load - not trying to start an engine. If the fuel filter was plugged it would stay plugged and you wouldn’t be able to start the car. It’s possible that a partly plugged filter could cause intermittent drive ability problems. Fuel injected cars have higher fuel pressure than carburetor cars as a result they do not have the problems with vapor-lock. I would check the IAC (Idle Air Control Valve). Check the throttle body for carbon buildup. Also check the coolant sensor for the ECM. If you have a distributer ignition system and someone advanced your timing this will also cause a hard start hot. You might want to do a hot and cold running compression test to eliminate carbon buildup on the valves. Although with the computerized engines you don’t see this that often. I would go after a bad sensor reading first.

DrDetroit

Krobers - have any of these suggestions worked? I also have a 91 Acura Integra with the exact same problem, and have yet to see it fixed. It sure makes summer difficult!

I just had the same problem but now my car suddenly died in the middle of the road, the Mechanic told me the disributer is bad and thats why the car didn't turn on from time to time. I have a 1992 Acura Integra LS.
If you can, find a away to check the distributer that par cost $495 so do some thinking before buying.

Nevo,

A few years ago I also had that problem (its a 92 Acura, not the 91 that I said earlier). My dealer was kind enough to point out that the distributor had been recalled, and therefore he replaced it for free. However, replacing the unit never did seem to fix the problem. Maybe the replacement also had the same issue! Has your problem gone away now that you have a new distributor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back