Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A-36 Brittle Fracture Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdog1

Mechanical
Aug 7, 2007
US
For a recent job, the customer statement of work specified:

"The equipment shall be designed to be operated outside for up to 3 years in temperatures ranging from 0F to 120F. Brittle fracture of the equipment must be addressed"

The statement about brittle fracture has left me somewhat befuddled. The equipment is a material handling device that is made of A-36. I thought of using ASME Section 8 Div. 1 of the Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code. It shows the allowable stress for a temperature range. In the case of A-36, the allowable stress is the same within the customer specified temperature range, I'm just not sure that allowable stress adequately addresses brittle fracture. I also found a Charpy impact exemption curve in there that I could possibly use. The problem is the requirements in the BVPC are specific to pressure vessels.

How should I address this issue?

What are some othe good references I could use?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Allowable stress and brittle fracture are not the same. You can order ASME SA 36 material with Supplementary Requirement (S5) for impact testing. In this case, at 0 deg F, you should have at least 25 ft-lbs to address "brittle fracture concerns".

You need to take into consideration the stress application (static, dynamic, cyclic/fatigue) in your design at 0 F. In addition to metengr's recommendations, you need to consider weld joint design, weld inspection requirements, welding filler metals, need for post weld stress relief heat treatment, etc.

There are a few links in thread330-126637. This may give you other ideas. Quite a bit of research has been done on this regarding ships and cold water.

Check out API-579 Section 3 (i think) where you can conduct a Level 1 or 2 analysis of your design to determine the risk of brittle fracture given various parameters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back