Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A book by Dale Carnegie 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a book recently called "HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE" by Dale Carnegie. This bool was written in 1936 and it is very much applicable today. It talks about human relations and how to be able to deal with all kinds of people. It gives exemples of situations at all levels and how people overcame those situations. I suggest it to all professionals!

That's the one where he continually advocates saying "I may be wrong, I often am, but let's look at the facts". OK as long as you really mean it, but a lot of people who say it are just trying to curry favor, as he of course is cynically advising us to do. Interestingly, it's something that you very rarely hear politicians say. I wonder if it's because they think it's not forceful enough ?

Englishmuffin

It has been many years since I read the book, but I can assure you that the book does not “continually advocates saying "I may be wrong, I often am, but let's look at the facts."”

Well, I may be wrong, I often am, and maybe "continually" was an exaggeration, but its certainly on more than one page!

ERV:

I may be wrong, (I often am) but your link doesn't seem to go anywhere. All I get is a Hotmail related message.

I may be wrong, and possibly a little late, but this link is no longer associated with a book. Let's look at the facts and perhaps you can just type out the name and author of this life changing book.

-Dan

Worked for me, but you have to copy the entire text of link

Anyway, it points to:
Coping with Toxic Managers, Subordinates ... and Other Difficult People: Using Emotional Intelligence to Survive and Prosper
By Roy Lubit. Published by Financial Times Prentice Hall

TTFN

Thanks I will check that last one out. I think it is very useful to review these types of resources.

I like the Dale Carnegie stuff, I'm going to have to sit down and read it all sometime.

Joking aside, Dale Carnegie has been criticized over the years for advocating an overly timid approach. His method probably works best if you are naturally aggressive and arrogant and need to tone down your manner a bit. But it's likely to make wimpy people even more wimpy and less effectual.
And of course, winning friends and influencing people are two different things. Its often said that Adolf Hitler didn't have any friends, except perhaps Eva Braun, but boy, could he influence people !

I took the Dale Carnegie Course many years ago. It was great! We basically followed the recommended book, and another, "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living". There were a couple more, also.

Of course, when Dale Carnegie wrote those books, it was an entirely different world. However, many of his "lessons" can be used today. I remember that he believed in addressing the other person's needs and desires. Today, so many people are interested only in themselves (the "me generation"), this is sometimes the only way you can get them to pay attention.

Good recommendation!

"How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie has been recommended reading for all kinds of careers. I once seen it in the curriculem for becoming a religous minister.

To me it seemed out of place there, but I am sure it makes the collection plates fuller.

It's obviously a classic for developing good communication skills.

I may be wrong; however not very often, but let's look at the facts:

EnglishMuffin are you saying that if I read the book and my communication skills improved, that I am “naturally aggressive and arrogant and need to tone down.”

If I was wimpy and read the book, my communication skills would have been minimized?

What am I if my communication skills remained the same after reading the book???

Please don’t take me too seriously; I am working on my communication skills.

CRG

CRG:
All I am saying is that, within the set of all the naturally aggressive and arrogant people in the world, there exists a subset of indeterminate size which might benefit from this book. They probably would not all do so, and it would appear to me that many such people get on just fine in life without reading and taking advice from any self books whatsoever. But don't take me too seriously either!

jay165

Even if there was a suicide it does not diminish the intelligence or the contributions a person has made to society.

Many highly intelligent and contributory folks have a hard time coping with the trends of the last 20 years. I do not recommend suicide as a means of coping --- just that some folks should show a little thought before they condemn any other person especially when they have no insight on the persons life or problems.

Open your mind and remember JUDGEMENT is NOT YOURS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back