Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

A book by Dale Carnegie 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a book recently called "HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE" by Dale Carnegie. This bool was written in 1936 and it is very much applicable today. It talks about human relations and how to be able to deal with all kinds of people. It gives exemples of situations at all levels and how people overcame those situations. I suggest it to all professionals!

Jay165, I am little curious.

Did you read the book and find it of little practical value because you thought the author (who had been ill for some time before death) chose to end his life?

Or would you be giving an opinion about something you know nothing about (the book)?

If someone was ill for some time before his death and chose to end his life, does that mean that there could be nothing in his life that was of value?

I am an optimist today so I will assume that you must have read the book before giving your opinion about it.

Which number best fits your communication style Jay.

1. According to EnglishMuffin If you read the book and your communication skills improved you might be a subset of the “naturally aggressive, arrogant, and need to tone down people in the world.”
2. According to EnglishMuffin If you read the book and your communication skills were more wimpy and less effectual, you might be a wimpy person.
3. You were an effective communicator before and after you read the book and your communication skills remained unchanged (i.e. you know more about communication than the author).
4. Other

Jay, which number best describes you? If it is number 4 please let us know what communication style you use.

Personally, I think you were a number 3, and you read the book in your youth.

JS

I took the silly course (great idea, boss!) which requires you to read that piece of crap. It was a huge waste of time, but at least I didn't pay for it. I'm not surprised I'm getting flamed - the people teaching the class had all the fervor of religous freaks. I had to stifle fits of hysterical laughter between futile attempts at staying awake. I can still spot a Daley a mile away by the number of times they repat your name in a conversation

Personally, I think Dale and those of his ilk (Tony Roberts, et al) laughed (or are laughing) all the way to the bank and don't really believe what they preach. I actually admire those guys for making millions off of other peoples insecurities.

That's my star Jay...although I gleaned some good points of both mentioned above [I think you meant Tony Robbins] I think it is mostly over-rated and the cost of the books, seminars, etc. are not justified.

But I also think that authors of 'religious' genre should be ashamed of the costs of their materials. But as you stated above, I too admire the brash audacity to actually do it and then go to the bank.

It reminds me of ISO2000! lol

Thanks, Massey. I did mean Tony Robbins. Glad someone else out there has not become another zombie like out of a 50's horror movie.

Double what you said on ISO2000 or ISO 9000 or any ISO "Quality" consultants.

Massey,

Would you say because a person sells religious material they shoud take less than reasonable profit????

Must a religious person maintain a lower than average lifestyle or is their material less valuable than, say -- technical material. How much is the profit after printing, marketing, administrative cost? I don't know. Do you?

Over-rated books and seminars???? Wouldn't this depend on the person doing the rating and his personal perspectives.

The marketplace will determine if the prices are reasonable, whether the product is educational, self-improvement, automobiles, books, seminars or religious materials.

How timely --- I just this moment saw a paid commercial by the Church of Latter Day Saints on the TV --- "FREE BIBLES"

No I'm not an especially religious person --- I'm just not sure that there are excessive prices for religious material and am curious as to what you base your statement.

---- Re-double ISO 2000, 9000 --- opinion

Hope y'all have a great new year ---

ietech

ietech:

Your correct that the market place will ultimately determine the costs. If people keep getting in line then the cost are not too high. Obviously my statement in previous post expresses my opinion from my perspective, that is why is said "I think..."

And yes I do think that religious professionals should have a lower standard of living than their 'followers'. It is the price they pay to serve the King. And I think that many religous authors sell books for profit. Their goal is to make money. They pump out regirgitated garbage time after time, and purvey themselves as having a better insight, perspective, relationship with the Almighty than those whom they wish to buy their books - hogwash from my perspective.

But again, if they keep meeting the markets needs then more power to them.

And it takes a special kind of person to drive new luxery cars when their parishiners are having a hard time to feed their families.

I used to be an ordained minister in the Evangelical Church Alliance. I've known and know hundreds of ministers, authors, speakers personally and my perspective comes from bitter experience. And yes I am still bitter.

Sure there is an occasional sincere, humble, open and honest minister. Just as there is an occasional author who sells materials at cost because his desire to serve humankind is genuine.

I personally do not think people should get rich selling the Word of God.

All of above is of course my personal points of view.

But let's not ruin this thread talking about my personal disdain for religous profiteers.

Thanks.

Beleive it or not...my wife just called me and her boss has offered to send her and a co-worker to a Tony Robbins seminar...they know nothing about this conversation...never will either. lol

Too funny!

Speak of the devil - Hope I wasn't the cause!

The whole time I was in the DC class I just kept repeating to myself that I had a great job and a great boss (which I did, in fact - this was only thing he did in 5 years that was dumb or annoying).

People whose boss’s send them on such a course should worry!! It says your boss thinks they lack the essential skills to work there and had better learn them fast!!. Scary stuff!!
I agree that while Dale Carnegie made some good points throughout his life, he has cast a serious doubt on his integrity by committing suicide.

I also can’t find any real evidence that he DID or DIDN’T commit suicide?

Maybe Tony Robbins, or one of those other people started a rumor to increase THEIR own sales by discrediting the godfather of self-motivation??

Paullup:

Actually my wife's boss has attended several Tony Robbins seminars, he and his wife just got back from one about 3 weeks ago.

The co-worker was offered the seminar or a cash bonus.

My wife is in a very public position that she is returning to after ten years. She quit a decade ago to bear and raise our four children up to a good start. Now that they are all in school, she has returned to the company she left.

I told her to go for it and have a great time.

Your assumption may be right many times, but I think this time you missed it just a bit.

paullaup:

Sorry about mis-spelling your user name above, it was an accident. Sorry.

Why don't we collaborate on a book entitled :
"How to Conserve Our Energy by Not Egaging In Juvenile Pissing Contests" ?

when arguing with a fool, be sure which one of the two you are

I am often wrong too, but I firmly believe that winning a bunch of idiots is never helpful anyway. So why try?

And all important people are won by just two words -"yes sir".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back