Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

A couple of questions about applying for an internal position

Status
Not open for further replies.

spongebob007

Military
Sep 14, 2007
US
In the last week an opportunity came up here at work that I think would be excellent for my career. Per company procedure, I need to apply for the job through the company website. So my first question is this: Do I need to put a lot of effort into polishing up my resume and tailoring it to the job (e.g. including job description buzzwords that an OCR will pick up) like I would if applying for a job at another company? I am going on the premise that your resume is your only chance-basically 30 seconds of someones time, to convince a complete stranger that you are worth taking valuable time out of their day to bring you in for an interview. With that in mind your resume really needs to stand out from the pack to stand a snowballs chance to even speak to someone about the job. But in this case, I am somewhat of a known quantity. I know the hiring manager and I have already talked to him about my interest in the position. He is somewhat familiar with my work. He also indicated that his preference would be to promote from within because he sees familiarity with our businees as one of the key things for this position. I have also notified HR that I am going to be applying for the job. So in my mind I am not sure if I want to go crazy tailoring my resume for a position where I am basically 95% sure I will get interviewed. I don't really need to sell myself upfront because they already should know (and I have even been told by my immediate supervisor) that I am a good fit for the job.

Related question: Should I bother including a cover letter with my resume? I don't feel like I need to introduce myself and summarize what I bring to the table. I think in this case that is best saved for the interview. Finally, on the day of the interview, is it customary to wear a suit? Or do I just wear business casual like I do every other day?

Thanks for the replies, believe it or not, this is the first time in my 20 year career that I have ever applied for another job within my company.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I see no reason for a cover letter on an internal position. If you've informed the hiring manager to be on the lookout for your application, and assuming he is interested, he'll take the ball from there.

Dan - Owner
URL]

Maybe look at it this way, how long/how much effort do you think it would take to apply like it was a job at another employer? Obviously need to be a bit more careful in how you copy & paste from the job description as they have a better idea of what you've really done etc.

Does the potential benefit outweigh the cost of your time? How bummed would you be if you didn't get it and you're always wondering 'what if I'd done a better resume'. How does your company review applications, if they play the game of ticking off buzzwords and ranking strictly on that then there is a slight risk that others get picked ahead of you etc.

Like wise on your cover letter, wouldn't put too much effort but a quick note just to cover your bases - likewise with the suit maybe not your Armani wedding suit but the minimum you'd wear to an interview just to show you aren't too complacent. You may need to make it appear like it's a real application process.

However, this really depends on just how close you are with the manager and how much he wants you, if he's literally said 'filling out the online resume is just a formality' then obviously don't put much effort into it.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

yes, put in the extra effort. At best it will differentiate you from other candidates, at worst it will keep you on the same level playing field

I just went through this - two of us applied internally; luckily neither of us polished our resumes under the assumption we are known quantities within the division. Didn't realize that one of the interviewers would be from outside the organization and had no idea who either of us was.

After reviewing my resume I did decide to update it a bit but not go crazy. Since it is a management job, I toned down the specifics of my technical competencies and put more emphasis on things like leadership, collaboration, talent growth, communication, and driving the business. I was also the first person to submit an application since the hiring manager told me about the job a few days before it was posted on the company website. I decided to skip the cover letter since I don't feel I need to impress in order to get the interview. I am also fortunate to be in a position where I have a very good understanding of our hiring process. As the technical lead in my department I have interviewed every Mechanical Engineer that has applied to this company in the last ten years. I have also interviewed a couple of candidates in other depratments for positions that I would be working closely with. Our applicants are interviewed by a team that typically consists of peers (all of whom I know and work with for this position), the hiring manager, and the manager above him/her, and possibly other folks as the position warrants. After the interview is done, the interview team meeets and basically votes on the candidates. Although the hiring manager has the final say, it has been my experience that they go with the person that the team picks most of the time. I already know for the most part who will be interviewing me, and I even have a very good idea of the types of questions I will be asked since HR has kind of a "script" that is used as part of the process. As far as wearinng a suit, I probably won't be doing that. The reason is that if I show up to work wearing a suit one day, people will ask questions. It's not a big deal like if I were looking for an outside job (my current boss knows what I am up to), but I really want to limit the number of people who know in case I don't end up getting the job. I plan to just bring a tie along with me the day of the interview since I typically wear a button down shirt to work anyway.

SpongeBob,
Your current manager/supervisor is the wild card in a situation like this. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute, if you quit or get promoted what does he do? Does he have somebody that can replace you. if he does not , even though he may openly support you he may be working behind the scenes to keep you in your present position. Be aware when you interview that this can happen.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Want the job or not, try to ace the interview. If it is known that you want to move up (or maybe out) then next time raises come around, you will have established a need to do something to keep you in the current position. Even just making someone consider how they would replace you should cause them to re-assess your value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back