Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A Fundamental Question Regarding Weep Holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angsi

Mechanical
Feb 17, 2003
MY
Design Code: ASME Section VIII
==============================

Can someone please tell me if the weep holes at the reinforcing plate is sealed after the vessel is put into operation? Or should it be left open? Why?

I understand the weep hole is to detect leakages in welds during hydrstatic testing but does it serve any purpose after the vessel is put into operation?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Angsi,
Weep holes serve more than one function. You noted one, others are to aid in release of gases produced during welding of the nozzle/rpad and another is to aid in detection of leakage from the nozzle/shell welds while under pressure. They should not be sealed while under operation.
Regards,
RLS

If I remember correctly, ASME actually states that they can be sealed, provided the seal isn't adequate to hold pressure. IE, seal it to keep air and moisture out.

In our drawings, we mention a note that,

"X nos. of 1/4 inch NPT tell-tale holes (what you mentioned as weep holes)" to be provided. The holes shall be sealed with grease after pnuematic testing."

I hope this sounds adequate.

I had thought one of the reasons not to seal up the weep hole was that if there were leakage behind the reinforcing plate (at the nozzle), it could change the loading on the plate attachment welds.

The attachment plate provides additional strength in the longitudinal and circ directions to the shell (compensation) and the welds take that load. If there was a leak in the nozzle then you'd have fluid pressure acting on the reinforcing pad directly and the welds would have to take that force too (pressure times area of reinfocing pad) in a different direction (tending to force the pad radially off of the vessel).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back