Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

a question about a company

Status
Not open for further replies.

aerospace2013

Jun 29, 2015
JO
Hello everyone
I'm willing to buy a wet diamond saw to cut some carbon fiber and glass fiber composite samples. I'm working on a budget. I came across a company called UKAM ( that sells such products for affordable prices. However, they are rated as F in the BBB and have some bad reviews. But unfortunately they have what I'm looking for. a lab size wet diamond saw called 6001XP smart cut.

1. Do you have any idea about this company or product
2. do you know other companies that sells similar products but they are reliable?

by the way, a tile saw won't do the job!
Appreciate your prompt response

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They may be F rated because they have not obtained a BBB accreditation. 2 complaints in 3 years does not constitute being too worrisome. Some people complain just to have something to do.
Being in business over 50 years would be an indication that they know what they are doing.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Dear Mr Looslib,

Thank you for your prompt reply. How did you know they are in business for 50 years?
What made me worry too, I have read couple more bad reviews about the company in another website....
Do you have any info how to make sure they are a trustworthy company?

Please delete any and all identical questions with same, similar, or different headings.
One question per topic is sufficient.
To delete a question, Red Flag it and in the resulting dialog box, ask that it be deleted.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Dear Mr Mike,

Could you please tell me why should I delete my question? I don't think I violated any rule in the Eng-Tips
Appreciate your explanation

It's not a rule, it's a custom, and a courtesy.
If you start multiple discussions on the same subject, you waste everyone else's time, and yours, just keeping track of what was said where.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

From their website: "UKAM Industrial Superhard Tools has over 50 years of experience in manufacturing, research, and development."
I know that it could be read 2 ways. One way is they have been around for 50 years. The other way is that they have X employees with Y years experience each that added together is 50 years experience, even though the company may only be 5 years old. If they are using the second method to get 50 years experience, I would stay away, too!

You need to ask yourself how much their business rating and being in business matters IF they have the product you need to do your job? If you are looking at a one-off purchase, price might drive where you buy it. If you are looking for a long-term supplier of machines and supplies, then you need to look at which company will work with you to get the end results.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

The BBB is not a consumer protection agency. It is mostly a type of extortion racket. It makes it's money from company memberships. Member companies basically pay a fee for favorable treatment about "complaints" while non-member companies do not.

I worked for a company in the past that got numerous BBB complaints. They essentially just paid to have the complaints taken down as they came, to keep the rating from tanking. So it really just hid the fact that they had terrible customer service and a horrible track record for order fulfillment. I wouldn't trust the BBB rating in any way, good or bad. It's just non-data to me. Not worth consideration either which way.

I have actually ordered from UKAM for a custom core drill. I was trying to cut out some tiny glass and their product was not bad. I, however, am not sure how good of a quality their wet diamond saw is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back