Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A question on boundary condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuchaoqun

Specifier/Regulator
Dec 30, 2005
JP
I am analyzing the ultrasonic sound pressure in a pipe. As mentioned in many references, when the metal pipe has a enough thick wall, it can be looked as a rigid boundary! Any boby can tell me how thick is thick enough!?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi,
as far as i know, if u r considering the pipe wall as a rigid body, what ever the thickness value u will give does not matter. But how ever, depending on the diameter of the pipe u can find the DIN standard thickness for the pipe..and depend on the value u can assign the thickness..

regards,
Krishi

It would depend on the pipe's configuration (Length, diameter, end condition). I would say as long as the pipe's natural frequency does not fall in the working ultrasound frequency, and the pipe is reasonably solid. It should be able to be considered as rigid boundary.

thanks for your post ,firstly. But i donot agree with you.
i have carried out a experiment. A acrylic pipe, is not a resonance dimension . and i think it is reasonably solid . but the distribution of sound pressure in the pipe is in agreement with the theoretical value of soft boundary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back