Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A/R (As Required) set for quantity of bulk items at the part level

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberpete

Military
Feb 13, 2005
CA
thread561-145421

Just bumping this closed thread!

Mr. Baker, do you know a way? I take it as this has been unanswered for 6 years, that it is not possible. But does not hurt to ask again. Enhancement Request?

Peter

thread561-145421

"Has anyone found a way to give a component such as "glue" in a parts list a quantity of "A/R"? I know that I can overwrite the quantity, but I am looking for a way that I can assign an attribute in the component. This attribute will override the parts list to display "A/R" by default without having to overwrite the automatic quantity.

Thanks,

NXdesigner"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While working in the Drawing, go to the Assembly Navigator, select the component of interest, press MB3, select Properties and then select the tab titled 'Assembly'. Near the bottom of the dialog simply change the 'Quanity Type' from 'Number' to 'As Required ("A/R")' and hit OK (if auto-update is not enabled for your Parts List, you may have to force a manual update of the Parts List note).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks John, that is our current method to set the quantity for bulk items. We were wondering if we could improve the method.

We were wondering if you can default "A/R" in the part file, so when you add a bulk item to an assembly, the parts list will automatically set the quantity to A/R in the plist, saving us setting it each time.

Any chance this might work? Do you know how this might be done?

Peter

At the moment there's nothing that can be done at the actual part file level so that this is automatically inherited when the part is added as a Component to an Assembly and then a Drawing with a Parts List is created. There may be a few more options when working with Teamcenter, but even then it's not exactly what I suspect it is that you're looking for.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:

John, in a similar vein, is it possible to have components such as glue automatically appear as Non-Geometric when they're inserted into an assembly? Based on your last post I'm guessing not, but I thought it was worth asking.

Cheers,

Jon

JHTH
NX 7.5.5 + TC 8.3.2.2

That's correct.

Note that there has been a suggestion made that we implement some special system defined Attributes (like we've done with some other things specific to Components, such as whether they're included in the Parts List or not, whether they are Sectioned in a Section view) which could be set in a master part controlling things like the quanity being set to 'A/R' or the Component is to be treated as non-geometric, which at the moment must be (if you don't have TeamCenter) done inside the Assembly, on a Component by Component basis, where the Component is actually being used.

That being said, if you would like to contact GATC and have them open an ER to this effect, it will help us in setting the proper priorities when it comes to project planning for upcoming releases of NX.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:

Thank you John, read your post and confirmed in Teamcenter documentation that A/R can be set with customization.

Thanks for your quick response

Peter

Jon,

Search "Default_as_req" in the TCE docs. It is the second hit when searching.

Specifies the value to write to the transfer file when the Teamcenter component quantity is A/R; typically, = 1

This is done in ERP.

Good Luck.

Peter

The solution is add a property in the part file like this :

DB_UNITS = m (assuming Meter)

Then in the ANT, you can change the quantity.

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC8.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back