Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A simple APDL question

Status
Not open for further replies.

protrader

Mechanical
May 26, 2008
CA
I build a volume (volume #1), then I divide it into 2 volumes using working plane. ANSYS deletes volume number 1 and names the 2 new volumes as volume #2 and #3.

I want to delete one of the volumes but I don't want to check the number of volume and simply use VDELE command. I want to use a condition that all the time in any case and any version of APDL, the volume to be deleted is selected.

FYI I am in the building geometry step and there is no mesh, no nodes and no elements.

Is there any way to do this? Or is this a common way that programmers check the number of the volume then they use it in the future commands (e.g. I check the number of volumes and the one that I want to delete is number 3, so I simply use VDELE,3 in the next line of my input file)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Simple - don't use the volume numbers. In fact, it is highly recommended to not use entity numbers, period.

Select the volume that you wish to delete using the vsel commands. Then, vdele,all.

Hi,

* You can set some options using the BOPTN commands.

* You can select volumes by selecting keypoints and then a series of LSLK, ASLL and VSLA commands.

* You can check the number of the newly generated volume by puting VSEL,NONE before and VVV=VLNEXT(0)after the command.

How Can we get the number of a KP knowing its coordinates. e.g. when we create a rectangle with BLC4 it creates an area with 4 KP. Now we know the KP coordinates but how can we get the number of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back