Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A simple task (Hole Wizard) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbmathias

Industrial
Jan 29, 2004
US
Newbie coming from AutoCAD is trying to use the Hole Wizard (SW2005) to put a tapped hole along the axis of a cylinder. I have a reference axis there. Using Hole Wizard, I specify thread etc, then Next to place the point. When cursor is on the axis, axis appears and highlights, so I click to place point. When I go to finish Wizard, it tells me that points are not constrained.

I can't really think of another way to constrain or specify the location. I can't dimension from hole to axis as zero - system won't permit that dimension. It seems like snapping to axis (when it hightlights) should be constraint enough, but apparently not.

Any suggestions on how best to do this simple task? I'd really like to use the wizard for the tasks it is built for, but I'm not too impressed yet.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do this.

Open a sketch and convert the entities on the top of the cylindrical surface (should be a circle). Exit the sketch, then edit your hole wizard feature. When you get to the window to add a point, delete your old point and add a point on the center point of your circle. It will be automatically constrained to the center of your cylinder. (Don't erase your circle sketch.)

You can also put a point anywhere on any surface within a sketch and constrain the point with relations or dimension--so you can have lots of points called out on a single surface.

There may be a less convoluted way of doing this, but this is how I learned when the feature was new.

Jeff Mowry
Industrial Designhaus, LLC

sbmathias ... There are two way to use the HW.
1) Select the HW feature icon, then the hole type, then position the points. This way starts a 3D sketch, so more constraints will be needed to pin down the points.
2) Click on a face near to where you want the hole to be placed, then select the HW feature icon. This way starts a 2D sketch & places a point where you clicked on the face, which can then be dragged to the axis & automatically constrained.

[cheers]

By selecting the face where you want to place the hole first before using HW feature icon would make the constraining the hole location much easier because now you are constraining a 2D sketch.

Forgot to mention, you will have to deslect the point icon before being able to drag & drop the placed point.

Also, if using the 3D method, if you rotate the model (say to isometric) you will see that you will be able to slide the point along the axis & that is why it remains unconstrained.

[cheers]

Thanks to all. I was confused about why it wasn't considering my point constrained. I guess it was because I was in 3D sketch mode. I'll try to remember this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back