Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

A 1

Zarrad

Student
Oct 6, 2024
CA
I have been tasked with designing a temperature measurement and control system in an enclosure where pipes carrying hydrogen are located, as well as a data acquisition system. I would like to know what all the possible solutions are for each problem.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good link from Mint there.

Practical advice: Don't be in to much of a rush to leave steps one and two of Mint's process behind - fancy solutions that address the wrong problem are a glittery and dangerous temptation.

Having said that, plan it so you've got time to go round the whole loop two or three times - you'll understand the problem a whole lot better the second time round.

"I would like to know what all the possible solutions are for each problem." ... I'm sure you would, I'm sure we'd all love to know all the solutions to any problem, but that ain't practical. Yes, I know this is student writing.

And don't, for the love of all that's sane, don't ask for the "best" solution to a problem. The goodness of a solution depends on the environment the problem is in; many things make one solution better than another given a different context.

What you should do is consider some solutions and if nothing seems to work, then ask "I like solution A but it needs input B which is very difficult for me. Solution C is a way around this limitation, but doesn't look as effective due to D. what can you guys suggest ?"

"Wir hoffen, dass dieses Mal alles gut gehen wird!"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Mint... very good link... thanks

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Back