A182-F92 (K92460) allowable stress values for the pressure boundary 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chshbt

Mechanical
Apr 21, 2013
IN
Hello All,
I'm designing a control valve body for a temperature of 610 deg C and steam service. I wanted to design the valve body and bonnet as per ASME section Viii, division 1. But I could not find the allowable stress values for this material for this material from ASME Section II-D. I am using 2009 version of ASME Section II-D.

However ASME B16.34 covers A182-F92 under group 1.18. That means I can design the valve as per ASME B16.34. But this will increase the required wall thickness and make the valve body very heavy.

Is there any way I can get the allowable stress values of this material? How someone design a pressure vessel out of this material? Can anyone help?

Thank you in advance...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

chshbt said:
Is there any way I can get the allowable stress values of this material?
Yes. First of, always use the latest version for ushc queries. You still wont find K92460 in the 2015 or even 2017 edt of the BPV, but at least youve covered that for a next time, and now know the importantce of using the latest editions. The BPV adds new materials with every update.
For the 2015 edt, K92460 is not in the BPV. However, there is a code case under BPV (# 2179-8) which includes rules for use of K92460 under BPV rules. In there youll find allowable stresses, based on the rules applicable in the BPV. Please note that these rules (or better, design margins) may not need to be the same as for your application, as youre (obviously) not design a pressure vessel.

/edit; please note that A182 F92 is not in B16.34, however A335 P92 and A369 FP92 are.

Thank you XL83NL,
What are the limitations of using code case allowable stress values? The code states 'Users are cautioned that not all jurisdictions or owners automatically accept Code Cases'.
Also the mandatory appendix 43 of the section Viii, division 1 states 'Code Cases that have been incorporated into this Section or have been annulled shall not be used'. But this material A182-F92 is not yet incorporated in section viii which means code case is still valid.

This material is in ASME B16.34-2013 version (group 1.18 and page no. 47). May be it will be safer to stick to B16.34 design rules.

chshbt said:
What are the limitations of using code case allowable stress values?
Code cases shall be mentioned on the U-1 form. Some states indeed dont accept code cases. Code cases may specify additional requirements not found in the Code itself.

If a Code case has been annuled, it makes sense (obviously) you cant use it anymore. If it has been incorporated, well, it has been incorporated, so you need to follow the Code itself (e.g. VIII-1) when you want to use acertain material.

As per my last reply, please note A182-F92 is not in B16.34-2013. A369 FP92 is, and A335 P92. Please make sure you are using the correct ASME specification and material grade (more specifically, exact UNS number).

You are correct. Please note the 2013 edition is the latest of B16.34, whereas you are using the 2009 edition. The latest shall be used, unless a Code specifies a certain specific edition other than the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back