Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A276 Type 316 Condition B

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdkuhndog

Mechanical
May 1, 2003
US
Is A276 Type 316 Condition B a stainless steel that is produced/used much? I have called this out in a calculation and then come to find that our local stainless distributor does not stock it and has never heard of it being requested.

Does anybody stock it?

I was trying to avoid the more expensive A564 Type 630 Condition H1150...but I don't even know if this is more expensive, because I can't get a quote on the A276 Type 316 Condition B.

Thanks for any help !!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Condition B means that it has "relatively severe cold work" (I love ASTM). Most distributors handle only annealed stainless steel. You should discuss this with the one of the stainless steel mills like Carpenter. They have a distribution network as well, so you can obtain smaller quantities. Use the following link for more information:

Another possibility would be Crucible Materials.
As cold worked material is common in tubing, but not so much in bar.
You aren't going to tensile load this part are you? Is there any chance that it could ever be exposed to salts or chlorides? Cold worked austenitic SS is very sensitive to chloride stress cracking.
If tensile load is the application Why don't you look at either a ferritic SS, duplex SS or a PH grade.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion never sleeps, but it can be managed.

Thanks for the links guys...they proved useful.

I will be posing this following question to some vendors...but, didn't know if anybody had some insight into it...

What is the corrosive resistance difference between ASTM A564 Type 630 Condition H1150 versus ASTM A276 Grade 316 Condition A ??

It now appears that there really is no cost difference, and since the mechanical properties are so much better for the A564 Type 630 Condition H1150 - it seems to be a 'no brainer' to start calling that out in the Calculations/Bill of materials.

Thanks !

17-4 PH has poorer corrosion resistance than 316. It has significantly less pitting resistance.

If you don't need all of hte strength I have two other possabilities for you.
First, look at the 1150M overaged condition, the toughness is much better.
Or, if you don't need quite as much strength and want more corrosion resistance look back at A276 and alloy S32205 (duplex).

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion never sleeps, but it can be managed.

If you are making a shaft check on Acquamet 17 for the 17/4 material. This material is already heat treated, ground true and straightened.

Bar 316 SS or any stainless is hard to cold work over
1 1/2" dia, I like to use 1 1/8" max. You can get 316 SS Bar up to the 1 1/2" dia by getting your fastener supplier to get the bar stock used for A193 B8 Cl 2 fasteners.

Come back with the product form you need.

316 in condition B is a difficult alloy to find. Mills like Ugitech (the old Ugine-Savoie mill) will make the alloy but only in mill runs only. And this will be the case with most all mills.

My question about using 630 in the H1150 condition, do you have a requirement to use the material in that condition? Or are you getting this in that condition for machinability?

Bob

maybe 17-7 will work more effectivelly for your application? IE: SAE 631 Also can be precip. hardened to the H1150 condition.. Has 3% more Ni, which I believe should have more pitting resistance than 17-4, although I am often wrong.

If you can pay the premium you might wnat to try sandvik, I know they have a new PH stainless alloy (they call it Nanoflex) that has less Cr than the 17-x alloys but also includes ~4%Mo and ~9%Ni. I know that it's available in sheet form from .015mm to 2mm thick, I dont know about bar or shaft stock.

nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back