Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A307 Grade A in Place of F1554 Grade 36? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

waytsh

Structural
Jun 10, 2004
US
I apologize if this question has been asked before but I was not able to find anything in my searches. I have a contractor who would like to substitute the F1554 grade 36 anchor rods I have specified with A307 Grade A. Is this acceptable? It seems that there is no published yield strength for the A307 Grade A, only tensile.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, A307 Grade A was the old preferred anchor bolt for headed bolts and studs. F1554 is the new preferred anchor bolt they are equivalent. I don’t let them sub. them because they can find the bolts they just have always ordered A307 and change is hard.

We end up with many substitutions because, well, American steel isn't that well found in South East Asia . . . I get a lot of JIS requests.

Apparently they like the A307 material because they can buy it as a threaded rod, cut it to length and then tack a nut on the end allowing them to make it cheaper. It sounds like the same thing can not be done with F1554 material. However, I agree they should be getting in the habit of purchasing the F1554 material as it seems to be a better standard and specific to anchor bolts.

F1554 Gr. 36 is weldable, Gr. 55 is weldable with supplementary, S1. F1554 also comes in threaded rods. I would like to note that there is no welding procedure for welding the threads of anchor bolts; we typical provide a double nut connection, however you might be fine with welding in this specific application. We have had contractors claim it is impossible to get F1554, they were just being lazy as I suspect is happening with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back