Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A307 vs. F1554-36 -- AISC vs. ACI

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbnerds

Structural
Mar 5, 2004
US
A co-worker used Apendix D to figure the shear of an F1554-36 1"diam. anchor rod (13.7kips) . I used the single shear value of an A307 in the AISC tables (9.42kips).
I realize that these anchors aren't technically the same, but for this shear/structural discussion should we be getting the same, or at least closer, results? I think the tensile strength differences between the bolts are 58ksi & 60ksi. Thats only a 4% difference, but our individual findings are MUCH further apart.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my AISC (13th edition), the available bolt shear for a 1" dia bolt (A307) is 14.1k (LRFD). I used Table 7-1.
Table 7-1 assumes the nominal bolt area is 0.785in^2. This is bigger than the "effective area" of the 1" dia bolt used for calculation in ACI(.606in^2).

That could account for difference in my opinion.

Reaching way back, see my first post here: thread507-182442
This discusses ACI vs AISC methods with regards to tension - shear is much the same.

Willis- I appreciate your repost, I was just browsing through the posts but I needed this clarification for some anchor rods I am designing. Your paragraph with the formulas was spot on, don't see why the same formulas wouldn't apply to bolts or anchor rods, there is no fundamental difference in the mechanics. AISC could just throw all the rods and bolts into one table to keep it simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back