Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A36 normalized steel ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedeghi

Mechanical
Feb 17, 2009
IT
Hi there, this is my first post here!
I have been digging in the search results for a while, but I could not find what I'm looking for, so here I am.

I'm dealing with MDMT issues, and so I have to find the exact reference on ASTM standard, stating that A36 can (or cannot?) be normalized.

On paragraph 6 of ASTM 36 it is specified that A36 can be supplied also as semi-killed or killed steel... but what about a "heat threatment" paragraph (similar to paragraph 5 of ASTM 516..) ?

The problem is that, according to UCS-66, each non-normalized carbon / low alloy steel belonging to Curve A, when normalized, shall be grouped with Curve-B materials (except for some exceptions :p), thus taking an advantage on the resulting MDMT.

Now I believe that A36 can not be normalized, but the problem is that I'm using a commercial pressure vessel software that on the contrary allows me to include A36 in UCS-66 Group B materials..

So, I'm quite confused. Anybody can help me on this topic?
Thank you, CIAO !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A36 is not supplied in a normalized or normalized and tempered condition. It can be supplied in a fully killed condition resulting in a finer grain structure, but that is it and it must be specified by the Purchaser.

Also, it is not permitted for use in Section VIII, Div 1 as A 36, this material would need to be certified as ASME SA 36 and follow the useage requirements in UCS-6.

According to UCS-66, SA 36 would fall under Curve A.

fedeghi, you should review UCS-6 for use of SA-36.

It may or may not be practical, but PWHT when not required by Code can get you a 30 deg. F MDMT reduction, see UCS-68.

Regards,

Mike

fedeghi,
Why would you design a vessel using SA-36, killed with fine grain melting practice when you could use SA-516 Gr70 and take advantage of the higher Code design allowables and greater temperature range?

Stanweld, I agree with your suggestion: we are actually using Sa-516 Gr70 for each "plate-shaped" details, such as shell courses and bended profiles.

The problem is that some reinforcing external profiles (L shaped, C shaped and IPE profile) should be bended and welded on-site, because some big vessels will be assembled on site.
We wanted to have an easy site assembly solution, thus avoiding to manufacture the C shapes in field...

At the moment we have decided to manufacture as much as possible with 516Gr70, but it would be nice to find an alternative solution...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back