Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A514 vs Domex (100XF) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

engjeff

Automotive
Apr 24, 2007
US
A few old parts we continue to make from A514 which is quite expensive (.7-1.1 per pound). I recently took a call from SSAB (swedish steel) who just recently purchased IPSCO. They explained to me that Domex was a better alternative to A514 and they could get it to me for around .4 per pound cut to length.

What are the disadvantages/advantages besides price?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suppose the question should have been more broad, what are the difference between a plate heat treated steel and a as rolled steel. Both have the same mechanicals.

We have also gone through the transition from A514 to Domex on a large number of products. From the standpoint of mechanical properties, there is no down side. There are only two disadvantages we have run into:
1. Domex is not available in as wide a range of sheet sizes and thicknesses as A514.
2. There are very few prequalified weld procedures for Domex. If you are doing any code work you will have to qualify your own weld procedures and filler metals.

Are you using it as just an impact plate such as hopper carts or in structural applications as well?

Who are you primarily getting your plate from? Do you have any vendors that do plasma cutting?

Thank you for your reply and helpful information so far.

The Domex we use is mostly in structural applications - truck frames, low-boy trailers and excavator booms. In applications where impact and abrasion are the main requirements we use Hardox or ordinary AR plate. We buy directly from Swedish Steel, and we usually do our own plasma and laser cutting unless we are buying finished parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back