Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AASHTO Bridge Design 4th edition vs. 3rd edition Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhtrible

Structural
Jan 26, 2004
US
What are the differences between the following standards:

#1 - "AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications, 3rd edition, 2004, with 2005 & 2006 Interim Revisions"

&

#2- "AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications, Customary U.S. Units, 4th Edition, 2007 (or the same in SI Units)"

I haven't designed bridges, so am not familiar with these books...and searches on the web and this site haven't helped. My problem is that #1 is cited by the NCEES as a 'Structural Design Standard' for the Civil PE and Structural I & II exams... However, I can only find #2 for sale anywhere...

If I buy #2 to study and take to the exams, will it be essentially the same as #1?

All/any advice/guidance is greatly appreciated - thanks!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're preparing for the Structural I & II examination, this wouldn't matter because you select either bridge or building questions. If you don't have bridge experience then you'd obviously select buildings and wouldn't have to worry about the AASHTO code.

You only pick between buildings and bridges for the SEII exam. Yes, it will make a difference on both. I have heard that NCEES will change to the LRFD code in October, hopefully not true. It will take well experienced engineer’s a long time to figure out the hidden changes in the 1500 plus pages of the new AASHTO code.

Isn't (2) awfully expensive?

Since (1) is no longer being used for new designs, hopefully you should be able to borrow it. Do you know anyone who works either at a state Dept. of Transportation or a consulting company that does bridge design work?

BRGENG - I think both (1) and (2) are LRFD, just newer and older versions.

The AASHTO LRFD code is definitely still in flux, with at least one major chapter overhaul in each new edition. Sigh...

Thank you all for your replies and help!
After a bit of hair pulling, my problem has been solved. Luckily AASHTO recently added this offering in their bookstore: "AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications, 3rd Edition with Interims, PE Exam Edition." [thumbsup2] They note that it is obsolete, non-current standard, with $240/200 non/member prices. The new standard (4th, #2) comes in a little spendier, at $342/285. I do know some folks who I could probably borrow the old version from, but they are a few states away from my current home, so I'm just going to buy it and save everyone the hassles.
I'm quite relieved to have one less worry on the upcoming exam. Hopefully this (#1) will be the code to use for both April and October 2008 exams. The current rate of code shuffling sure can get exasperating...
...but Happy New Year to All anyway!

Just a quick question about the new AASHTO for the April SE1 exam. I just purchased the 4th Edition prior to AASHTO offering the 3rd Edition for the exam. Is there a big difference between the two? Am I screwed and have still get the "special" 3rd Edition for the exam?

This whole changing of the codes really is a pain in the neck. I will freak out if i have to shell out another $240 for an older version.

I will say that there appears to be a huge difference between the new 4th edition and 2nd edition. It seems like in the new 4th edition alot of the design info is missing. For example, the moment and shear values for bridge spans in Appendix A in the 2nd edition.

Can someone shed some light?

Thanks

I would think, and this is what I did when I took my PE exam in the US (I practiced in Canada) that you just state the code under which you are answering the question. Certainly the 4th being so new, it is sort of strange that they would be so picky if you said you are answering to the 3rd. Probably a lot of licensed bridge engineers don't know all the differences either. Now to the real point - AASHTO and ASTM seem to be in the business of making money. Why else would they publish their standards and codes so often. Does the world change that much (especially with testing standards and material standards)? I think not. Money talks and they have a captive audience.

The longer the publication interval, the longer the wait for needed changes to be implemented. It's annoying to have to buy a new book when you don't care about the changes, but when you need a problem in the code to be fixed, it's frustrating waiting for that next edition to come around.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

HgTX - I understand your point, but rather than buy a whole new book (ASTM book for example where only 2 or 3 of the standards actually have changed in the whole of the book), they should send you any updates "free of charge" for, say 2 years. Then buy another set. As for AASHTO, I have seen changes where they have made the mistake (error in printing, poor editing, and the like) - and they DON'T send you the changes as errata - buy the new supplements to get them. What individual has the money to keep everything up to date? - and not all companies buy the books every year or they'd go "broke."

ASTM does sell individual standards that you can download.

A subscription service for AASHTO interims and ASTM revisions would be good though. However, if they give you the updates free they'd probably just bump up the cost of the initial book...

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Like I said - its all in the money. I actually bought an Asphalt standards a few years back - and the most important standard had been dropped (Marshall Stability Test) - why? because the committee didn't renew on time. So is that MY fault? Always wondering . . .

I am in the same situation here. I have the 2004 LRFD code but we did not purchase the interims because IDOT did not convert to LRFD until October 2008. So I have the code but not the interims. I received the attached PDF from AASHTO that shows the articles that were changed or deleted between the 2006 interims and the new 2007 4th edition. It doesn't really state what was changed though, just the article number. I'm not sure if I should bring in the 3rd edition without the interims and hope what had changed isn't on the test, or bring in the 4th edition w/o interims and hope for the best. $240 for an outdated code is rediculous, and the AASHTO rep agreed. It would be nice if they would host a download section of old manuals. It would be a great way of giving back to the customer.....but they wouldn't make money out of the deal. Wishful thinking I guess.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=ccdcec5b-0e36-406f-9e54-72ce4bffc793&file=ABBR_US.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back