Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AASHTO LRFD "At-Grade" Box Culvert Loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

TypeIV

Structural
Jun 28, 2004
US
I am designing an "at grade" (Cover < 2'-0") RCB using AASHTO LRFD.

The State DOT I am in specifically requires us to use LRFD for RCB's. The LRFD Code only requires the full analysis for HL93 and Lane Load if the supporting walls are > 15 feet apart. I am designing a Triple 10'(W)x6'(H) reinforced concrete box and the code says "Where primary strips are transverse and their span does not exceed 15.0 ft.-the transverse strips shall be designed for the wheels of the 32.0-kip axle."

I am trying to understand how to apply this load, as stated above.

I have a three barrell box and I am wondering if that 32 kip load is acting alone and moved across the three spans for maximum forces or is it multiple 32 kip loads at some (14'?) spacing moved across the three cell spans?

[I would also be interested in any software that anyone has had success with.]

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The HS-20 axle load configuration is 32k-32k-8k at 14 ft min spacing. I would probably use all three axles (assume 14 ft spacing) with a 32 kip load on the slab over two barrels and an 8 kip load somewhere on the third barrel, and run a few cases to maximize the loads. This will take advantage of the continuity to reduce the maximum + moments , and determine the - moment over the barrel walls.

...or use a program like STAAD, RISA or GT STRUDL and run the moving load generator on a stick model to get all the live load posibilities. Apply the results to your design.

BRASS CULVERT LRFD is a good program to design Box culverts to the AASHTO LRFD code (3rd edition with 2006 interims). See
STAAD.Pro is the other way to go but takes much longer.

We us Brass to design the box (with hand checks to verify) and design the headwalls independantly.

Something to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back