Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AB PLC SLC 500 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SelfTaut

Industrial
Mar 9, 2006
US
If I have a Printer connected to the 9 pin connector can I still use a PC to communicate with the Processor?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Which processor type do you have? They have different port provision.

----------------------------------
image.php
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it...

Hi there.

If its the SLC 5/03/04 there is two ways to communicate to the processor from a pc. The round 9 pin connector DH45 comms or the RS232 port. Depending on which port you have your printer in use the other port to communicate. You will just have to set your drivers up in RSlinx. Hope that helps.

Blue

You will need a converter to interface the DH-485 network to the RS-232 port on the PC. Avoid the 1747-PIC converter: it is a pain in the ass with the most awkward and temperamental drivers. It is especially temperamental on laptops. A-B have recently released a USB/DH-485 interface to replace the awful 1747-PIC: I haven't used one and would be interested to hear some feedback on the USB device. I expect it is better than its predecessor.

Incidentally, when did the SLC5/03 develop a round connector? Unless things have really changed, the DH-485 is on an RJ-45 connector, and the RS-232 is on a 9-pin DIN connector.

image.php

Yes scotty you are correct the 5/03 is RJ45 etc. I was in a bit of a rush when i replied. Didnt realise i had put 5/03. I know exactly what you mean with the 1747-PIC convertor, no end of problems with same. We recently had contractors installing a new system and the guys were using the USB device. Said it was far better than the PIC device. Think its expensive though??

The USB device is just over £100GBP over here in UK - I suspect it is a similar dollar price everywhere else! Downside is my old copy of RS Logix and Panelbuilder won't work with the new USB device. I have ordered one, and taken the opportunity to upgrade the software too. I'll post findings once I get a chance to get familiar with it.

I've also had a play with a NET-AIC as a stop-gap when the 1747-PIC was misbehaving. It's ok if you have 24V DC available and accessible to tap into, but doesn't look very professional.

image.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back