Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AB Powerflex 70 [VFD]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinFFE

Automotive
Aug 25, 2013
US
hey guys,

i'm an ME intern at a company and was given a project that is utilizing an Allen-Bradley Powerflex 70 adjustable frequency drive. I downloaded the manual but am not an electrical engineer so a lot of it is over my head.

The machine is a simulated engine valve train that is spun using a 2hp motor. when i plug in the VFD it power's up and when i hit start the Hz only go to 15 and than it faults out saying motor overload. (f7 I believe). I need to test this machine before I can conduct testing and can't seem to get it to run. Any ideas. Sorry I'm not the most knowledge with electrical.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Has the VFD been configured to run with this particular motor?
Does it work alright if you disconnect the load and just run the motor on its on?

I haven't tried to disconnect the VFD and just run the motor I will. The VFD has been configured a couple years ago with the same 2hp motor.

For the first check, disconnect the mechanical load, not the VFD.
If the drive still faults on overload, then try to run the motor without the VFD and with the mechanical load still disconnected.
You may have mechanical issues.
You may have a failing motor.
You may have a failed VFD.
(Or something else!)

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Configured for this motor two years ago? Has it sat unused and unpowered for those two years?

"Will work for (the memory of) salami"

It wasn't ran but was plugged in.

Going through the manual I did change some settings to match the motors name plate. We're currently getting a Digital interference fault so i've contacted our controls engineer and he is taking a look at it. Thank you for all of your help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back