Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AB SLC serial comms, laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

panelman

Electrical
Jun 29, 2002
GB
Guys

We produce panels using AB SLC 505 cpus, the software gets written using our office IP address, when we go to site we change the IP address to match the client network using a serial cable.

It’s now time for a laptop upgrade but it seems that serial ports are not fitted to new laptops.

Anyone have any thoughts on solutions? USB to serial? PCMCIA to serial?

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have an IBM T42... no serial port.

I use a socket serial comms adapter (PCMCIA)

I use this device to connect to PLC's and hyperterminal for a wide range of other serial communications. I haven't had a problem.

Regards,
jMk

Use a USB to serial adapter. In RSlinx, make sure you know what COM your computer has designated to it, generally not COM 1!!! Tell Linx where it is and there should be no problems.

Simon

I have had good luck with a PCMCIA Serial converter with all the AB serial products. Another thought is we have changed laptops to Panasonic C51 Toughbooks they still have serial ports and are nice machines.

Hello,

I had the same problem. I found that dell has a laptop that has the rs232 port. I have the D800 series.
Also A/B makes a USB to DH485 interface converter. It has worked great on the computers we have that don't have the serial port.
Cat # 1747-UIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back