Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus boundary condition help(ship hull and sea water)

Status
Not open for further replies.

abishai

Mechanical
Mar 1, 2012
GB
Hi everyone

I am trying to perform some FEA sumulation using abaqus on a ship hull. I am having doubts concerning the necessary boundary conditions since its being simulated in still water. Could someone tell me what the best(closest to reality) boundary conditions i can apply to the hull to simulate sea water, or whether there is a way in abaqus to actually do that. I have found something about creating a coupled Eularian-Lagrangian model, can i apply that to my situation.

I have attachewd my model if anyone is interested to have a look

thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Would applying the water pressure as a load (triangular pressure distribution) be appropriate, then have minimum boundary conditions to prevent rigid body movement?

Hi crisb

thanks for the reply. Yes, I would have to apply a water pressure distribution for the draft...but i dont really get it, there should not be no boudary condition since the hull is being supported by sea water. I am actually simulating the hull under its own gravity for deflections,,,

You need minimum boundary conditions in x y z directions otherwise you will get free body movement which will be a problem for the solver. If you balance the loads, the reactions at the 3 fixities can be minimal, or zero if you worked out the pressure very accurately.

abisahi,

Would it be accurate if you use the weight of the structure itself as the force and use the projected area (projected down) to arrive at pressure at all the nodes on the hull and use these two as the boundary conditions??

-This is me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back