Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ABAQUS CAE UNSELECTABLE NODES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregorio Marchiori

Bioengineer
Feb 26, 2020
IT
Good Morning.

I ask you help because nodes appear as unselectable in abaqus CAE screen. In practice, I mesh a part, then I can select nodes only by Set->Create, but not in Create Wire Feature for example. Why?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you create a wire you can only select:
- for wire created at part level: vertices, midpoints of lines and arcs, centers of circles and arcs, datum points
- for wire created at assembly level: vertices, orphan mesh nodes, reference points

So there’s no option to select native mesh nodes for wire creation.

Thank you very much.

So I have a problem, because in this way I have to use an orphan mesh and I lose the advantages of working with the original geometry (e.g. Soorface Smoothing in Interaction). Correct?

Creating orphan mesh is one way to bypass this limitation but there are also other possibilities. For example you can use partitions to create vertices at the desired location. Or utilize reference points.

Thanks again.

I have tried with partitioning, but then it gave me issues in meshing. I have tried also with reference points, but it is a long way to contrain every node to the relative reference point (I have a lot of nodes to be included in the same wire)

In such case I think that the best approach would be to write input file and add necessary definitions directly to it, operating on nodes. If the number of points is large, consider using Python scripting for this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back