Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus drilling 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

I am facing exactly similar problem in my simulation. I'm also trying to simulate something similar like drilling. Here's my thread link The elements are getting distorted for an unreal length. Can you share more info about your material modeling like material, damage model used, plasticity model used? What is the damage evolution criteria you've chosen?

Thanks.

StefCon,

I didn't select 'status' variable output for the model which I've created a thread. I've resubmitted the model with 'status' variable output request and will update the results. But my other concern is regarding the damage evolution specification. Just like in drilling process, I need to get all the elements from the path of the tool completely deleted but it shouldn't significantly affect the surrounding elements. What I'm observing in some of my models due to zero energy specification or very low values for displacement at failure specifications for damage evolution, elements get deleted quite fastly not only in front the of the tool but also those that surround its side surfaces which result in a gap between tool and workpiece. I would like to mention that I have no idea how to calculate the damage evolution, either energy or displacement, for the process I'm trying to simulate. Although there are some basic equations which I've come across but they aren't of much help

mechdrive1,

I am in the same boat regarding the lack of material data. I think that in order to get reliable data, a ton of testing is required to determine how the material failure depends on the stress triaxiality. Also, the failure starts somewhere first and therefore I think that a very fine mesh is required.

Hi mechdrive1;

I just follow the tutorial here before i get start with my project.

Hi StefCon,

Thank you for the advise, I just run my model again with the "status' updated.
It took a week to complete the simulation.

It look even more tougher when i read mechdrive1 comment.

I agreed, we need more experimental data to understand the drilling failure behavior.

Cheers

StefCon,

Like I mentioned in my original thread about this problem, I changed the value of 'D3' constant from -ve to +ve and also requested 'status' variable output and got the desired results. I've searched a good number of papers available in the literature domain but there seems to be little clarity regarding the damage evolution calculation. I have been going the trial and error method way which is quite time-consuming and for this reason, I've settled for a relatively low-density mesh. Very fine mesh do result in better results though.

Matmeanla,

I would request you to share any available material data regarding the damage and plasticity models if you come across any. All the best for your project!

Thanks to both of you!

Hi there,

After I run the model this morning, I got this error

"the ratio of deformation speed to wave speed exceeds 1 in at least one moment. This is usually indicates an error with the model definition.Additional diagnostic information may be found in the message file"

Normally what it exact meaning..:)

Thank you

Matmeanla,

It means the element(s) in your model is/are distorted and you need to check the .msg, .sta files to find out where exactly element(s) has failed and why so.

I have seen that deformation wave speed error show up when density was incorrectly specified due the consistent units requirement when imperial/US customary units where used - density was not in slinches it was in lbm/in^3.

Bill McEachern, P.Eng.
Redstone Six Consulting Ltd.

Matmeanla,

The way elements will be deleted and whether or not chips will be produced depends on the material property assigned which includes both J-C plastic and damage criteria. It would be good to verify the values you are using in the material property definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back