Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ABAQUS ERROR: Excessive distortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian2w2w

Mechanical
Jun 2, 2020
MU

I am doing the simulation of simple shear of a square using quadrilateral element type for the mesh. The material properties being Neo-Hookean.

The abaqus error message and warnings are like follows:

'RELAX STIFFNESS IS NOT A VALID CHOICE FOR THE HOURGLASS PARAMETER ON THE *SECTION CONTROLS OPTION IN Abaqus/Standard; HENCE, IT WILL BE REPLACED WITH HOURGLASS=STIFFNESS FOR THE CURRENT ANALYSIS. THE ORIGINAL CHOICE WILL, HOWEVER, BE STORED FOR ANY SUBSEQUENT Abaqus/Explicit IMPORT ANALYSIS

The parameter hourglass = stiffness on the section controls option is relevant for these elements: c3d8r, cax4r, cgax4r, cpeg4r, cpe4r, cps4r, m3d4r, m3d9r, s4r5, s4r, s8r5, s9r5, sc6r, sc8r and their hybrid, thermal and pressure counterparts wherever applicable. It is also relevant for all types of modified triangular and tetrahedral elements. This warning can be ignored if the feature is applied to these element types only.

DISTORTION CONTROL PARAMETER FOR THE *SECTION CONTROLS OPTION IN Abaqus/Standard IS VALID ONLY FOR C3D10HS ELEMENTS AND WILL BE IGNORED FOR ALL OTHER ELEMENT TYPES IN THE CURRENT ANALYSIS. IT WILL, HOWEVER, BE STORED FOR ANY SUBSEQUENT Abaqus/Explicit IMPORT ANALYSIS

Excessive distortion at a total of 5 integration points in solid (continuum) elements'

I tried hourglass distortion control but it didn't work.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are several possible reasons for an issue like that. However, in this case, it's most likely caused by incorrect material definition or too large load magnitude/rate. Units might be wrong as well. How did you get the constants for this material model - were they derived from an experiment or taken from literature ?

The problem could be also caused by incorrect boundary conditions, make sure that they are properly defined.

What is the label of the element type that you use here ?

For the mesh,
ELEMENT SHAPE: Quad

For the material, I considered those for silicone rubber
Mechanical: hyperelasticity
Strain energy potential: Neo-Hooke
Input source: coefficients
C10: 1
D1: 0.0001
Tbh, I took the data from a video.

Load:
I use '20' meaning 20 N.

Is it okay for silicone rubber for a square under shear traction please?

Dimensions of this part, boundary conditions, and exact element type (there are several variants of quadrilateral elements) are also important. It would be best if you could attach the cae or inp file with this analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back