Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus/Explicit memory usage 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Push123456

Mechanical
Nov 27, 2011
DE
Hi all. I am running forming analysis on abaqus 6.10 on 64 bit platform with 8 gb of RAM. How can I give max memory usage for abaqus/explicit? There is a built in option for abaqus/implicit but for explicit there is no such option.

I want to allocate max amount of RAM for the analysis. Please help me with that.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Respect to Abaqus documentation (3.4.1 Managing memory and disk use in Abaqus) you cannot set memory limit for Abaqus/Explicit calculation phase.
You can only set max. memory limit for preprocessing phase in the same way as for Abaqus/Standard.

Explicit finite element method usually does not need a large amount of memory compare to implicit since there is no stiffness matrix inversion.

Regards,
Bartosz

Thanks akabarten, but is there any other method to decrease computational time because the stuff I am doing will take a long time. I have heard about "running jobs on Grid engine".Is it helpful?

I have used mass scaling factor of 1000. Still its taking long time beacause it is not using most of the memory. In my case, Abaqus/explicit is using only 200mb out of 5500 mb of available memory.

There should be dynamic memory allocation for ABAQUS, both implicit and explicit. Explicit uses relatively less RAM compared to that of an equivalent implicit simulation and will generally use as much RAM as is required until it hits the hard limit. 200mb could be reasonable but difficult to know not knowing the model "size". Be careful using mass scaling as this may introduce inertial problems that may not exist. Check your mesh and critical time step size (the two are intrinsically linked in explicit, particularly the smallest element dimensions). Is the model tending towards static or quasi-static? If so this could be dominating the solution time and hence try running the job in implicit as this may reduce your simulation time.

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back