Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus - how is plastic behaviour interploated between two adjacent material definitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyNameIsUser

Mechanical
Dec 20, 2013
DE
Hello,

i was wondering how abaqus interpolates the material behaviour when i enter plastic properties such as e.g.

Stress (MPa) / Strain (10^-3 in/in)
0 / 0
12.0 / 0.219
26.0 / 0.417

Lets say i run a tensile or compression test. What happens when the (true) strain is between 0.219 and 041? Is the "young's module" (does this have a name in the plastic deformation region?) of that region calculated as (26-12)/(0.417-0.219) MPa?

Thank you for any help :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

I can add that outside the range Abaqus use constant interpolation.

In Abaqus/Explicit curve you defined in inputdeck can be slightly different from what is used during calculation.
Please take a look here:
Getting Started with Abaqus: Keywords Edition, 10.2 Plasticity in ductile metals, Data regularization in Abaqus/Explicit

Regards,
Bartosz

Hi,

What I observe about the extrapoloation is, the plastic strain will be validated depending upon the deformed element. So, the Stress will remain constant and the strain will be extrapolated depending upon the deformed shape and the simulation will come out of the extrapoloation is there is any excessive destortion of the element or due to the any negative volume of the element.

I hope, this explanation might help you.

Regards,
Prasad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back