Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus Mesh to Tecplot

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcpbcup

Feb 4, 2009
US
Hello,

I'm looking for a way to get my Abaqus mesh into Tecplot. (Just the undeformed X,Y,Z nodes). The mesh is partitioned into an structured Hex section and an unstructured Tet section.

The final file format must be in Tecplot 10 (.dat) format with X,Y,Z nodes by layer, which shouldn't be too hard to sort by hand as long as I can get X,Y,Z nodes out of Abaqus. I can use Tecplot 360 (an older version) as an intermediate tool since it has (.inp) and (.odb) importers available and can export (.dat), but I tried importing Abaqus 6.8 files and they produce errors. I'm guessing the errors are due to either the partitioned mesh or Abaqus 6.8 formatting is too new for my version of Tecplot 360. If posters could help me try any of the following, it would be appreciated:

1) Output previous Abaqus formats (.inp) files from a more recent version.
2) Have Tecplot recognize the partitioned mesh.
3) Export X,Y,Z nodes some other way (Python script is OK, but I do not know Python so someone would have to push me in the right direction).

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A self-reply:

Tecplot does not like two mesh types in one file. I did not want to, but it worked ok to do an unstructured mesh on the whole part. Messy, but at least Tecplot 360 read in the .inp file and converted it successfully to Tecplot 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back