Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus/Python - Extracting Connectivity of Surface Elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

msuaeronautics13

Mar 10, 2017
US
Is there capability within the Abaqus/Python API to extract the connectivity of a surface (such that the element definitions are 2D) from an ODB file? I have only been able to accomplish extracting the 3D elements which are used to form a surface, but I am only interested in the faces.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think there is no direct way to get that info.

Simple workaround (when using A/CAE):
- Create a skin in the property module
- Create a surface section in property module and assign that to skin
- Assign surface element type in mesh module to skin

After the analysis you can take the connectivity of the surface elements.

I have done it manually with python by using the surface.elements connectivity, then screening out the nodes that aren't in surface.nodes.

This won't guarantee that the final numbering is in any particular order that would correspond to a 2D element though.

When you just have a surface definition (not element), then you get the underlying solid, which is not what you want. Use dummy surface elements as described, place them in a set (named 'skin', e.g.) and then look at the elements of that set. They will output a connectivity with a specific order, which builds the normal direction of that element.

Example:
print session.odbs['Job-1.odb'].rootAssembly.elementSets['SKIN'].elements[0][0]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back