Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ABAQUS Python scripting to define geometric imperfections

Status
Not open for further replies.

g.alshamsi

Civil/Environmental
Sep 29, 2020
AE
Hey all,

I've been facing an issue in defining imperfections in an assembly I've been analyzing using both explicit/implicit solvers; my problem is as follows:

I'm modeling a steel shear wall assembly consisting of two back-to-back beam parts, two back-to-back column parts, and an infill steel sheet part sandwiched between the built-up columns/beams. An elastic-perfect plastic material model has been defined (based on coupon test results), connections between the steel members is defined via mesh-independent fasteners, and a fixed BC is assigned at the bottom of the wall. NLGEOM is turned on.

I introduced imperfections to the model as a linear superposition of buckling eigenmodes by first performing buckling analysis and extracting the most critical buckling modes. However using this method only accounts for the buckling in the sheet itself. I need to account for imperfections in the columns as well.

I understand that I can edit the nodes in the .inp file however I don't have the exact imperfection patterns for the columns.

My colleague suggested that I model the columns separately and extract the buckling modes of the columns, then through the use of a python scripts export the deformed mesh to my shear wall assembly.

My question to more experienced users, is such a procedure possible? I'm fairly a beginner when it comes to scripting so I'm not sure if I'm heading towards the right direction. If not, does anyone have any other suggestions? I can provide any other info/files if it would help solve the problem.

Cheers,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks to FEA way's suggestion, I found a solution.

For those who are interested, I modeled the columns alone and applied an initial imperfection equivalent to the first buckling mode scaled by a small factor (0.1). Then imported the orphan mesh of the deformed columns to the shear wall model. The orphan mesh was then converted to a part using the "Create geometry from mesh" plug in.

The plug in can be found from the following link: Link

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back