Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus removing BC with subroutine

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejjan2

Mechanical
Mar 20, 2020
SI
Hi.
In begining of my coupled temperature-displacement analysis I have all displacments of all nodes equal to 0 (fixed). Then I need to remove those BC during step, dependant on time and node, using subroutine so they can deform freely. Is this even possible? I know how to use DISP subroutine, but it can't be used to remove BC, only to prescribe new magnitudes.
Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, I think this is not possible. De-/activating BC is only possible from one step to another, not within a step.

The next best workaround, even if it isn't a good one, would be:
Create a script that creates a connector (Bushing, e.g.) between each node and a fixed location. Make the elasticity/stiffness dependent of a field variable. A high stiffness would keep the node at it's location. Reduce the stiffness of each connector as needed with a subroutine.

What was wrong when you used this approach ? Can you say more about your model ? What kind of structure is that and how does it work in real life ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back