Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus Scripting or Subroutines for simulating an iterative process? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yunus9696

Mechanical
Apr 14, 2022
IR
Hello everybody
Hope you’re doing great

Assume I have two material properties MATERIAL1 and MATERIAL2. I start my model with MATERIAL1 and calculate each element’s (von misses) stress and if any element’s stress exceeds N MPA I change its material to MATERIAL2 and continue till all the elements’ materials
are altered to MATERIAL2.

For this purpose:
Do you suggest Abaqus scripting by the following method:
1. Run the job
2. Write elements’ stresses to an .odb file
3. Check the elements’ stresses by reading the .odb file and change the desired elements’ material to MATERIAL2
4. Run the next job
5. Continue the above-mentioned loop by a script till all the elements’ materials change to MATERIAL2

Or

Do you suggest running a job and implementing Abaqus subroutines (USFLD etc)?

1. Which method is applicable?
2. What are the cons and pros of each one?

Thanks for your precious points.
Best regards,
Yunus.

PS: Let’s say the real model has 1000 elements or more and 5 different material properties to describe a small gap bone healing process.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want this to be done during the analysis, use subroutines, they are meant for such purposes. With scripting you would have to divide your study into several jobs which is not very convenient and a significant effort would be necessary to achieve the desired goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back