Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojana_Hepp

Civil/Environmental
Jun 13, 2023
FR
Hello.
Linear static analysis in question.
I modelled a fillet weld connection between two plates by using tie constraint (3d solid geometry). Tie constraint is established along a line on both plates, different parts, but touching in Assembly mode. Nodes are almost a perfect match on both plates. Option to adjust the nodes in initial position is set to off.
What I am interested in, is, whether the free body cut forces along these lines are representative of the real loads transferred by the weld? I am currently extracting FBC forces along 6 x elements, 10 mm in size. Plate is 40 mm thick.

Capture_efs1ca.png

My understanding is that tied nodes have their dofs exactly the same. The only thing where I can get the error is due to the mesh discrepancy between the parts?
Can I see the tied node pairs?
In addition, there is some difference in FBC forces if I generate FBC on 2d element edges compared to when I generate FBC forces on the nodes of 3d solid elements. Does anyone have the idea why?

Thank you for your help.
Beginner

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It shouldn’t be a problem but you can compare the results with a model in which the nodes are actually merged without tie constraint.

OK, thank you for your response. I will look upon the option to merge the nodes on different parts. In case it is simple to explain it, I would appreciate if you could help describing it. Bojana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back