Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus topology optimization

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukes91

Mechanical
Aug 20, 2015
AU
Hi,

I am trying to run an optimization task to minimize strain energy with a volume constraint, in order to produce a lighter but stiffer part.

I have set up my model with tetrahedral elements, with a seed of 4. I used a step function of general static, with incrimination parameters set to
Maximum number of increments=9999
increment size: initial-0.001, minimum-1E-009, maximum- 0.01

My issue is that when I run the optimization job with a 1300N force (magnitude of x and y component) the optimization works. When I increase the loading to 5000N, I get issues with 'strain increment exceeding 50 times specified' as well as a 'time increment required is less than the minimum specified' because in the last step of the solver the increment jumps to 1E-31.

Can anyone please help me resolve this issue?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try the following:
1. increase the constrained volume percentage. example from 50% to 90% of initial volume
2. set max optimization cycles to round 5 just to see it tosca is solving correctly
3. decrease volume percentage and repeat step 2 until you reach your bottom reduction.

Try to play with the optimization task settings, for example the ''p-penalty'' value. If you decrease it you the solver allows medium density elements and higher values of p shoot for a black-white design.

Also run a static analysis at your high load to see if the solver converges successfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back