Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus Visualization: How can we visualize symbol (Vector) plots for state dependent variables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Udit Pillai

Mechanical
Oct 24, 2016
DE
Hello everyone,

I have written a UEL for coupled pore fluid/stress analysis in 2D. In addition to solid displacements and fluid pressure, I also get fluid velocities (both in x and y directions) in the solution vector. I have currently stored them in state dependent variables (SDV) and I can visualize their magnitudes using a dummy mesh in Abaqus viewer. However, I want to visualize them (Vx, Vy) as vector field-output (Symbol plots) for each node. This is possible for displacement outputs by default in Abaqus viewer (See image below).

displVectorField_ul6ln7.png

In short, I want to display fluid velocity vector (stored in SDV) in exactly similar manner as shown in image. If someone has written a Python script for this and give me some leads, it would be of great help.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Save your SDVs in the statev vector and make sure you request SDV field output in your input deck. Also, in your material definition, you have to assign names to each of those variables.

Just out of curiosity, why did you have to write a UEL to do coupled fluid-stress analysis?

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

Thanks @IceBreakerSours for the reply.

I am already storing my SDVs in the STATEV vector and requesting a SDV field output in my input file. I get all these SDVs listed perfectly in the primary field output and that's how I can visualize their magnitudes. However, I cannot find any of these SDVs listed up when I switch to Symbol field output. Only displacements and Reaction forces which are available in Abaqus by default get listed up for vector (symbol) field plotting. Currently, these SDVs are stored on the element integration points and I have not extrapolated them to element nodes in my code. Here is how I request them in my input file:
*element output, elset=Part-1-1.dummy, directions=YES
sdv1,sdv2,sdv3
(sdv1: Fluid velocity in x-dir, sdv2: Fluid velocity in y-dir, sdv3: Resultant Fluid velocity)
Is there something wrong in the way I request these SDVs? Besides, can you please expand on how can I assign names to these variables in my material definition?
Thanks again for all the help.

Regarding UEL, I am modelling cracks in porous material using phase field approach. For this, a new crack evolution equation is introduced in addition to momentum and mass balances. As the crack evolves, it changes various parameters involved in the existing balance equations which in turn affects the entire element formulation. A UEL in my opinion was best suited for this job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back