Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Abaqus vs Ansys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmer12

Mechanical
Nov 14, 2010
CA
Hi, I have access to both software packages at my school's computer lab, and would like to get to know one of them a bit more before taking my FEA course next term. I understand that both packages are very good FEA programs, but I would like to know which is easier to pick up as I am just starting out, and wont have an instructor helping me until I take the course next term.

Thanks,
Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That will be a difficult question to answer. Most people here will say Abaqus since this is an Abaqus forum. I would suggest going through a couple of the tutorials and making your judgment that way. Once you have evaluated please post back your thoughts.

Rob Stupplebeen

Although Rob brings up a good point about people in this forum being biased...I assure you this is an unbiased opinion as I have used Abaqus and Ansys extensively in my career.

I would recommend Abaqus over Ansys in terms of both capability and ease of use. One thing to consider however is that Ansys still has a larger market share in the US and worldwide so you're more likely to encounter Ansys in the real world.

If you are looking into working with composites...definitely Abaqus. On the other hand, if you are looking into coupling CFD and FEA...Ansys is probably a better choice.

Hope this helps,
-Dan

Dan Milligan
Firehole Composites (FHC provides software and consulting for analysis of composite structures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back